Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Gardening: The Importance of Praying Mantises?

After moseying on through midterms and having a bout of sickness I'm back to provide some updates on the garden!

The weekend before last the Eugene Home and Garden show was in town at the Lane County Fairgrounds and I lassoed my partner into coming with me to visit some of the gardening exhibitions and booths. In particular I wanted to stop by a landscaping booth who had recommended I come and chat with them at the Garden show rather than pay for a consultation.

It was packed inside and we only browsed a few shops before heading towards the booth in question; however, we did stop and purchase a small Cactus flower. Moreover, I purchased a small mesh bag containing a grey cocoon containing not one, but 200 praying mantis' ready to hatch! Strange I know.

You see, we have always had a problem with aphids and other assorted 'bad bugs' around our house. This holds true especially with my nasturtiums that I have always been so fond of. I was a quick sell. An old man and his wife jumped into conversation with me and told me all their praises for the little mantis'.

I've gone ahead and followed instructions and placed the mesh bag about 1 ft. off the ground, whereupon if the temperature reaches 70 degrees or above, they will begin to hatch and immediately spread out in search of food throughout the garden. I'm hopeful they take out any bugs that plan on hurting my plants; my housemates are hoping for a large decrease in spider sightings.




Anyways, back to the H&G show. I met with the landscape consultants and arranged to have a later meeting to discuss some possible plans and bounce ideas off of them. I do not plan on outsourcing my work to them; rather, to brainstorm ideas and learn how I can do it my self, and perhaps if needed, let them work their magic on too burdensome projects for a green individual such as myself.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment